Spicy Lamb & Lemon Tagine
Recipe submitted by Jane Dale-Beaumont
For the lamb tagine:
4 tbsp olive oil
4 onions, peeled and chopped
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3kg/7lb shoulder of lamb, boned, fat removed and cut into 4cm/1½in cubes
2kg/4½lb ripe tomatoes or 4 X 400g/14oz can tomatoes, coarsely chopped
Third of a jar of Al'Fez Spicy Lemon Tagine Paste
For the couscous:
1 Packet Moroccan Spiced Couscous
4 tbsp chopped fresh mint or coriander
1 lime, cut into wedges
Bowl Greek yoghurt
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas 2.
2. For the lamb tagine, heat a large ovenproof casserole or heavy saucepan on a medium to high heat. Add the olive oil, onions and Al'Fez spicy Lemon paste. Stir, then cook, covered, on a low heat for about ten minutes, until the onions are soft.
3. Add the lamb, tomato purée, chopped tomatoes into the saucepan, stir throughly. Bring to the simmer and place in the oven for 1½ hours, until the lamb is tender. Remove the lid of the saucepan halfway through the cooking time to let the liquid reduce and thicken.
4. Prepare Al'Fez Moroccan Spiced couscous as instructed on pack. Stir the chopped herbs into the couscous.
5. To serve, place the tagine on serving plates with couscous and a wedge of lime. Serve with a bowl of thick Greek yoghurt. Can you tell I love lemons! Flat breads would be lovely to 'mop' up.