Moroccan Meat & Potato Tagine
Recipe submitted by Gaynor Brown
1 lb. (about 1/2 kg) lamb, beef or goat meat
1 1/2 lbs. (700 g) potatoes, peeled and sliced
1/3 cup olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, pressed or finely chopped
2 tsp salt, or to taste
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp pepper
Pinch of saffron threads, crumbled (optional)
Small handful of parsley and coriander sprigs, tied into a bouquet
Large handful of red or green olives
1 Al'Fez Preserved Lemon, quartered
1. Chop the onion rather than slicing it. Cut the potatoes into wedges rather than slices. Chop the parsley and coriander.
2. Mix the meat with onion, garlic, coriander or parsley, spices and olive oil in a large pot or pressure cooker.
3. Brown the meat, uncovered, over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 3 cups of water and cover. If using a conventional pot, simmer the meat for about 1 1/2 hours; if using a pressure cooker, cook the meat with pressure for about 35 minutes, or a little longer if using lamb or goat meat.
4. Add the potatoes, olives and preserved lemon, adding water if necessary so that the broth almost reaches the top of the potatoes. Partially cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the sauce is reduced until thick.
5. Towards the end of the cooking, taste for salt and adjust the seasoning if necessary. then kick back and enjoy xx