Spiced Apricot and Lemon Tagine
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- 2 large onions (red or white), chopped
- 1½ tsp Al'Fez Ras El Hanout
- 300ml hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 Al'Fez Preserved Lemons
- 200g tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced longways
- 2 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- zest 1 lemon, juice ½
- 3 rounded tablespoons of Al'Fez Spiced Apricot Tagine Paste
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 small aubergines or red pepper, cut into chunks
- Brown the aubergines in 2 tbsp of the oil so they’re golden on all sides, but not soft in the middle yet – this is best done in batches in a large, non-stick frying pan. If using red peppers add in with the rest in the next step:
- Heat a large pan or flameproof tagine with the remaining oil, add the onions, carrots and spices (and red peppers if using), and fry gently until softened and golden.
- Take the preserved lemons and slice the rind off of both, and roughly chop the pulp from the centre of one lemon.
- Stir the preserved lemon rind and pulp, tomatoes, lemon juice and Tagine paste into the onions with the stock. Snugly fit the aubergines and carrots (and peppers if using) in, cover with a lid and simmer for 30 mins until tender. Season to taste.
- Mix together the lemon zest and chopped parsley and sprinkle over the tagine. Serve with couscous or bulgur wheat for a healthy vegetarian meal!